This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.953 / 51°57'10"N
Longitude: -1.3365 / 1°20'11"W
OS Eastings: 445695
OS Northings: 228491
OS Grid: SP456284
Mapcode National: GBR 7V5.JX4
Mapcode Global: VHCWT.S59M
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046307
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243983
Location: Duns Tew, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25
Civil Parish: Duns Tew
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Duns Tew
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP4528 DUNS TEW
9/256 Manor House
Manor house. Circa 1710 probably for Robert Dashwood, altered and extended C19.
Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings, coursed squared marlstone and
brick; Stonesfield-slate and Welsh-slate roofs with ashlar and rendered stacks.
Complex plan of several builds. Main range is a symmetrical 5-window block, of 2
storeys plus attic, and has rusticated quoins, storeyband and a moulded wooden
cornice below a hipped roof; 12-pane sashes at first floor have moulded stone
architraves with projecting keyblocks, but similar ground-floor openings have
all been lowered to take French windows, the central opening (probably
originally the main entrance) having a more elaborate architrave. Roof has 3
hipped roof dormers with 2-light casements, and has similar dormers in the ends.
A 4-window late-C19 range to right, of one storey plus attic, has similar
ground-floor openings with full-height sashes, but the upper sashes rise into
segmental pediments broken by tall keyblocks. 3-window rear wing, returning from
left, is in stone-mullioned style of c.1850, and includes the 4-centre-arched
main entrance. Rear of house is part marlstone and part brick, attached service
ranges including an octagonal brick dairy. Interior: open-well cantilevered
stair of c.1850; C19 joinery, fireplaces and plasterwork; 2 stone
bolection-mould fireplaces of c.1700 (probably re-used) in rear wing.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp590-1; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p213)
Listing NGR: SP4559528337
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings