History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of Ease of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Deddington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9833 / 51°59'0"N

Longitude: -1.3545 / 1°21'16"W

OS Eastings: 444425

OS Northings: 231849

OS Grid: SP444318

Mapcode National: GBR 7TS.LC5

Mapcode Global: VHCWM.GDSX

Entry Name: Chapel of Ease of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046341

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243861

Location: Deddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Deddington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Deddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Barford Saint John

Listing Text

SP43SW DEDDINGTON B4031
(North side)
Hempton
2/137 Chapel of Ease of St. John
08/12/55 the Evangelist

GV II
Chapel of ease. 1850 by Reverend William Wilson, Vicar of Banbury for Reverend
William Wilson (senior) of Over Morton House. Coursed squared marlstone with
ashlar dressings; plain-tile roofs. Combined nave and chancel, south porch, and
schoolroom on north side. Early-English style. 3-bay nave/chancel has chamfered
lancets with hood moulds, some in pairs, and the east window is a triplet of
graduated lancets; west gable wall has a pair of tall lancets flanking a wide
stepped buttress which rises to support a gabled bellcote. South porch has a
continuously-moulded arch and a gable parapet with apex cross and moulded
projecting kneelers. Schoolroom, in place of a north aisle, has similar lancets
and a shouldered doorway. Parallel steep-pitched roofs rise from ashlar eaves
coves. Interior: continuously-moulded 2-bay arcade leading to schoolroom;
painted decoration on chancel roof; C12 font from Over Morton Church incised
with chevrons; C19 fittings.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p635; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p115)


Listing NGR: SP4442531849

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.