History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friends Meeting House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0142 / 52°0'51"N

Longitude: -1.3236 / 1°19'24"W

OS Eastings: 446518

OS Northings: 235302

OS Grid: SP465353

Mapcode National: GBR 7TF.N62

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.0MMS

Entry Name: Friends Meeting House

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046356

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243797

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text

SP4635 ADDERBURY HORN HILL ROAD
(West side)
Adderbury West
6/75 Friends Meeting House
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Friends
Meeting House, Bloxham Road)

GV II*
Quaker meeting house. 1675 for Bray Doyley. Coursed squared marlstone with some
ashlar dressings and wooden lintels; concrete plain-tile roof with rebuilt
ashlar gable stack. Single range. One storey plus loft galleries. Symmetrical
front has a central doorway with double doors flanked by large 3-light leaded
casements, all with stop-chamfered lintels; right end and both gables have
similar casements. Steep-pitched roof has stone gable parapets with moulded
projecting kneelers, and has the stack to left with a renewed datestone
inscribed "1675"; central gabled dormer has a moulded cornice above a 2-light
leaded casement. Interior: stone-paved floor with a dais along the rear wall;
C18 matchboard dado with fixed perimeter benches; winder stair leading to a
3-sided gallery carried on chamfered beams with a simple slat balustrade. The
interior is complete with late C17/early C18 pine benches and represents an
unusual survival.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, p12; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p415)


Listing NGR: SP4651835302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.