History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0145 / 52°0'52"N

Longitude: -1.3155 / 1°18'55"W

OS Eastings: 447075

OS Northings: 235345

OS Grid: SP470353

Mapcode National: GBR 7TF.Q71

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.4MXH

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046361

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243808

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Built-Up Area: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text

SP4735 ADDERBURY MILL LANE
(West side)
Adderbury East
7/85 The Manor House

GV II
Manor house. Probably late C16/C17 for the Bustard family incorporating earlier
elements; restored 1887 by Aston Webb and altered and extended c.1930. Coursed
squared marlstone with marlstone- and limestone-ashlar dressings,
Stonesfield-slate roofs with stone-and-brick stacks. Main range (possibly
incorporating a hall house) plus shallow flanking wings and subsidiary ranges to
rear. 2 storeys plus attic. Irregular front has a 5-window central section with
the 3 left bays projecting below a parapet; most of the limestone-mullioned
windows with hollow chamfers are probably C16/C17 and are linked by continuous
moulded strings serving as label moulds. Gabled wing, projecting to left, has
renewed marlstone-mullioned windows to 3 floors. Lower gabled projection to
right has C16/C17 mullioned windows with labels. All windows have leaded
glazing. Gables have plain parapets, and the right end wall returns to a gabled
porch containing the main entrance and bearing a monogram and the date 1887; it
links to the long single-storey billiards-room range which has large transomed
stone-mullioned windows. To rear of main range are subsidiary ranges and
additions. Roofs have numerous stone-based stacks with tall clustered C19 brick
shafts, most set diagonally but some with spiral and chevron decoration.
Interior not inspected but noted as containing traces of an open hall plus a
large 4-centre-arched stone fireplace and some late-C16 plasterwork in a bay
window.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p416; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, p10; Country
Life: Vol 105: 1949, p86)


Listing NGR: SP4707835343

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.