History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Arch Approximately 60 Metres West of Adderbury House

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0171 / 52°1'1"N

Longitude: -1.3083 / 1°18'30"W

OS Eastings: 447562

OS Northings: 235628

OS Grid: SP475356

Mapcode National: GBR 7TG.D1R

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.8KPL

Entry Name: Entrance Arch Approximately 60 Metres West of Adderbury House

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046371

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243838

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text

SP4735 ADDERBURY THE GREEN
(East side)
Adderbury East
7/115 Entrance arch approx. 60m W of
08/12/55 Adderbury House
(Formerly listed as Adderbury
House with outbuildings and
gateway)

GV II
Entrance arch. c.1770. Possibly by Sir William Chambers for Duke of Buccleuch.
Ironstone ashlar. Classical style. Semi-circular arch is flanked by tall Tuscan
pilasters with pronounced entasis rising to an entablature with a central blank
panel and supporting a triangular pediment. Both faces are similar except that
the west face has three-quarter-round pilasters and has a deeper overhang to the
pediment. The archway formed the principal entrance to the forecourt of
Adderbury House (q.v.) and appears to relate to the later work of the Stable
Court (q.v.) which may be by Chambers,
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp416-418; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp7-9;
Country Life 1949, Vol 105, pp30-32)


Listing NGR: SP4756235628

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.