History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rawlings House and Attached Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0167 / 52°1'0"N

Longitude: -1.3103 / 1°18'36"W

OS Eastings: 447430

OS Northings: 235591

OS Grid: SP474355

Mapcode National: GBR 7TF.KK7

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.7KNT

Entry Name: Rawlings House and Attached Wall

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243840

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Built-Up Area: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text

SP4735 ADDERBURY THE GREEN
(South side)
Adderbury East
7/117 Rawlins House and attached
08/12/55 Wall
(Formerly listed as Grammar
School)

GV II
School and master's house, now house. 1589 for Reverend Christopher Rawlins,
extended and probably restored 1847. Coursed squared marlstone with ashlar
dressings; Stonesffield-slate roof with ashlar and brick stacks. 2-unit plan plus
extended schoolroom. 2 storeys plus attic. 3 bays to right of front form the
house, and have a central doorway with a chamfered stone surround flanked by
windows of 4 and 3 lights, plus windows of 3, 2 and 3 lights at first floor; all
windows have hollow-chamfered stone mullions, labels and leaded glazing.
Schoolroom section has a very tall 4-light stone-mullioned window plus a further
chamfered stone doorway; added bay to left has a matching window, as has the
gable wall, and continues the chamfered plinth. Right gable wall has aligned
mullioned windows of 4, 3 and 2 lights. Steep-pitched roof has gable parapets
and one hipped 2-light leaded roof dormer; 2 large lateral stacks to rear and a
small stack on the left gable. Single-storey subsidiary range, extending from
the junction of builds in an L shape, includes a stone-mullioned window with 2
arched lights and a 3-light mullioned window which may have been re-used. Lintel
above the principal door records the foundation in 1589 as does a later
inscription on the gable wall. Interior: wide Tudor-arched chamfered stone
fireplace; large inglenook fireplace with chamfered bressumer; stop-chamfered
Cross beams and inner lintels; stop-chamfered tie beams, in the double-height t
schoolroom section with C19 arched braces rising from moulded corbels. Stone
wall, approximately 2.3 metres high with a 3-course triangular coping, extends
approximately 10 metres eastwards from right gable wall and contains a
Tudor-arched chamfered stone doorway.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp415-416; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, p11)


Listing NGR: SP4743035591

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.