History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fleet Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0176 / 52°1'3"N

Longitude: -1.3054 / 1°18'19"W

OS Eastings: 447761

OS Northings: 235692

OS Grid: SP477356

Mapcode National: GBR 7TG.DSL

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.BK75

Entry Name: Fleet Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243752

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text



SP4735 ADDERBURY EAST END
7/30 Fleet Farmhouse and attached
08/12/55 outbuilding
(Formerly listed as fleet
Farmhouse)

GV II
Farmhouse. Late C17/early C18 in 2 builds. Coursed squared marlstone with wooden
lintels; Welsh-slate roof with rebuilt stone stacks. T-plan. 2 storeys plus
attic. 2 bays to left of 4-window front are higher and include, in bay 2, an
arched Cl9 door below a renewed 3-light casement, and in bay one a blocked
first-floor window; bays 3 and 4 have similar renewed casements to both floors
plus a blocked stair window. Steep-pitched roof, with gable parapets and
projecting moulded kneelers, has a large stack at junction of levels. Left gable
wall and rear of higher section have further renewed casements but retain
2-light stone-mullioned cellar windows; right gable has an old leaded casement,
and rear of lower section has 4 more, each of 3 lights (3 with leaded glazing).
Rear doorway, now the main entrance, has reeded panel mouldings of c.1800. Lower
rear wing has a similar gable parapet with a stone-based stack, but has C20
windows and first-floor dormers. Outbuilding range to right of main range,
linking to Sydenham House (q.v.), has a small doorway plus a 2-light casement,
and at the rear has a larger open entry plus an old 3-light casement with
splayed mullions and lattice glazing. Interior: stop-chamfered cross beams;
large inglenook fireplace with chamfered bressumer and bread oven; some C18
panelled doors and shutters.


Listing NGR: SP4776135692

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.