History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 4 Chest Tombs 1 Metre to 4 Metres East of Chancel of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0149 / 52°0'53"N

Longitude: -1.3149 / 1°18'53"W

OS Eastings: 447113

OS Northings: 235379

OS Grid: SP471353

Mapcode National: GBR 7TF.QCB

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.5M68

Entry Name: Group of 4 Chest Tombs 1 Metre to 4 Metres East of Chancel of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046387

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243776

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Built-Up Area: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text

SP4735 ADDERBURY HIGH STREET
(West side)
Adderbury East
7/54 Group of 4 chest tombs 1m to
4m E of chancel of Church of
St. Mary

GV II
4 chest tombs. Late C17, 1705, 1721 and early C18. Marlstone and limestone. The
most northerly, a rectangular marlstone chest with deeply-projecting moulded
base and cover, has a small fielded inscription panel on each side, a shield on
one end, and at the other a surround of drapery enclosing the raised legend
"WL/1705". The inscriptions are in Latin and commemorate William, Bishop of
Llandaff, formerly Vicar of Adderbury. The next, a plain marlstone chest with
shallow incised panels and a moulded base and cover, is probably early C18, but
the inscription on the cover is largely illegible. The late-C17 limestone chest,
1 metre east of the south-east buttress, has deep moulded base and cover, and
has one side and one end decorated with square panels divided by a central
baluster in relief; the other end has an inscription panel, now illegible. To
east of it is a rectangular marlstone chest with moulded base and cover, square
recessed corner balusters and fielded inscription panels; the earliest
inscription commemorates John Lovesey (d.1721).


Listing NGR: SP4711335379

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.