This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9723 / 51°58'20"N
Longitude: -1.0914 / 1°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 462510
OS Northings: 230813
OS Grid: SP625308
Mapcode National: GBR 9XZ.6X2
Mapcode Global: VHCWS.1PCD
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243659
Location: Newton Purcell with Shelswell, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, MK18
Civil Parish: Newton Purcell with Shelswell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Newton Purcell with Shelswell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
NEWTON PURCELL WITH SHELSWELL CHURCH LANE
SP63SW (East side)
5/66 Church of St. Michael
Church. C12 origins. Repaired in 1813, restoration of 1875-6 by C.N. Beazley
amounting to a rebuilding leaving only the foundations of the original walls.
C12 doorway moved from the north to the south entrance. C19 bell-gables vestry
and porch. Stucco with limestone quoins. C20-tile roof. Combined nave and
chancel. 3-window range. South doorway has C12 zig-zag decoration and a dove and
serpents in the tympanum. Late C19, 2- and 3-light lancet windows throughout and
a C14 ogee-headed window in south wall of chancel. Interior, C13 piscina and
aumbry. C19 fixtures and fittings and a C17 parish chest. C13 incised slab
commemorating a heart burial. Marble wall memorials to Gilbert Harrison,
merchant d.1790 and to other members of the Harrison family of Shelswell Park.
Nave north window has early C19 stained glass in the manner of Eginton. Other
C18 wall memorials to Edward and Samuel Trotman. On a stone plinth to left of
porch, two C17 limestone effigies from Shelswell Church, which was demolished in
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p717 and p753; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol
Listing NGR: SP6251030813
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings