This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9749 / 51°58'29"N
Longitude: -1.1464 / 1°8'47"W
OS Eastings: 458729
OS Northings: 231063
OS Grid: SP587310
Mapcode National: GBR 8WK.4ZF
Mapcode Global: VHCWR.2MSC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046439
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243597
Location: Cottisford, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, NN13
Civil Parish: Cottisford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cottisford and Hardwick-cum-Tusmore
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
COTTISFORO MAIN STREET
SP5831 (North side)
15/5 Church of St. Mary
Church. C13 with C14 and later alterations. 1861 restoration by Charles
Buckeridqe including insertion of tracery in the square headed windows. Coursed
limestone rubble and squared coursed limestone. Steeply pitched old-tile roof.
Stone coped gables. Chancel, nave and south porch. 4-window range. Chancel has a
3-light intersecting windowon east. Priest's entrance on south has a pointed
arched doorway and plank door. Entrance is flanked by C19 lancets. Nave has a
2-light C15 window to right of porch and a restored Pernendicular window to left
of porch. Hood moulds and label stops. West gable has a single-light cusped
lancet with hood mould and label stop and a louvred lancet to bell-cote above.
Gabled stone south porch has an old-tile roof and stone coped gables with cross.
Pointed arched entrance with chamfered jambs. South door has 2 orders of
moulding and a pointed arched hood mould with headstops. 3 mass dials to left
wall of porch. Interior C19 roofs. Chancel has an arched tomb recess and C19
piscina. C19 pews and font. ?C17 pulpit. Brass eagle lectern. C19 reading desk.
C18 organ, Stone wall memorials to James Edward Rousby d.1848 and Edward Rousby
d.1875 of Cottisford House. Marble wall memorial with urn and cartouche to
Richard Eyre d.l76l and Martha Eyre d.1772. Royal arns of George III over
chancel arch. Brass of c.1500 to John Samewell and his wife and thirteen
Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p558; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI,
Listing NGR: SP5872931063
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings