History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Green Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Fringford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9541 / 51°57'14"N

Longitude: -1.1237 / 1°7'25"W

OS Eastings: 460314

OS Northings: 228759

OS Grid: SP603287

Mapcode National: GBR 8WS.JP6

Mapcode Global: VHCWY.G4SV

Entry Name: Green Farmhouse

Listing Date: 3 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243619

Location: Fringford, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Fringford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Fringford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Hethe

Listing Text

FRINGFORD

1721/20/26 THE GREEN
03-OCT-88 (West side)
GREEN FARMHOUSE

II

FRINGFORD

1721/20/26 THE GREEN
03-OCT-88 (West side)
GREEN FARMHOUSE

II

Farmhouse. c. 1730, reusing some C17 material. Coursed magnesian limestone: machine tiled roof.
PLAN: modified through passage.
EXTERIOR: east elevation of 2 storeys; 3-window range. Central door under timber lintel with 4 panels and 2 glazed lights. One late-C18 2-light iron casement with leaded panes to the left (south) and one similar 3-light casement to the right. 3 2-light late C18 timber cross casements to first floor, 1 renewed in C20. Internal gable-end stacks to north and south.
Rear elevation with a gabled single-storey and attic cross wing added C18. Glazed C20 door to north, one 2-light C20 casement to its right and one similar, larger, casement to attic. In south angle is a lean-to extension of 1992. North of the cross wing is the projecting staircase tower, lit through one early C18 single-light casement. One similar casement to the first-floor north of the staircase, renewed C20.
INTERIOR: rear cross wing with one chamfered bridging beam with an end stop to west end only. Hallway and 2 ground-floor rooms paved with stone flags (south room flags with concrete screed). Hallway with junction of C17 reused cruciform bridging beams extending through both ground-floor rooms and with tongue stops at ends further from the junction.
South room fireplace with curved rear wall of header-bond brick. Hallway south and north partition walls consist of C17 plank and muntin panelling, reused.
North room with fireplace under a cambered bressumer. Ledged staircase doorway in west wall, and a further ledged doorway with HL hinges east of the stack. In north-west corner is an ovolo-moulded 2-light window with a diamond central divider, also reused.
Cellar with a heavy chamfered bridging beam.
Winder staircase leads to first floor, where is a corridor on the west side divided from the 3 main rooms by plank and muntin panelling, and each of the rooms similarly divided from their neighbours.
North room with remains of a winder staircase continuing to a former attic storey. Cruciform bridging and spine beams. Central room with continuation of the spine beam from the north room. South room with a second bridging beam and continuation of the cruciform spine beam.


Listing NGR: SP6031428759

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.