This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8969 / 51°53'48"N
Longitude: -1.1505 / 1°9'1"W
OS Eastings: 458551
OS Northings: 222376
OS Grid: SP585223
Mapcode National: GBR 8XJ.3XQ
Mapcode Global: VHCX4.0LN7
Entry Name: 46, 48 and 51, Market Square
Listing Date: 31 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243539
Location: Bicester, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26
Civil Parish: Bicester
Built-Up Area: Bicester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bicester with Caversfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BICESTER MARKET SQUARE
3/64 Nos.46, 48 and 51
Shown as Nos.46, 47 and 51 on Ordnance Survey map.
Substantial town house, now shop. Early/mid C17 (possibly partly earlier) and
late C17. Part-rendered timber framing; old plain-tile roofs with brick stacks.
Double-depth plan, extended to front and rear. 2 storeys plus attics and 3
storeys. Double-gabled 3-storey east front, in exposed light framing, is late
C17 and has 3 renewed cross windows to both upper floors, all with C20 lattice
glazing; a simple wooden pallisade running between the gables rises above a
moulded wooden cornice. A deep contemporary jetty, at first floor only, spans
the alleyway to right and rests on long braces. To left, the one-bay return to
the earlier range also has renewed cross windows plus a similar C20 shop front.
Double-gabled central section of south front rises above a late-C19/early-C20
shop front and a very wide 5-light early-C18 window with thick glazing bars; the
upper fenestration is irregular and includes a large window which is probably
late C18/early C19; the westernmost gable has a scalloped bargeboard. The west
front is extended by a 2-storey flat-roofed addition which projects below the 2
original gables; it is of c.1700 and has a heavy moulded wooden cornice and old
horizontal-sliding sashes at first floor; ground floor has a C18 canted bay
window on shaped brackets, 2 more old windows and a panelled door. The alleyway
to north is also bridged at first floor at the western end by a link containing
a wooden 3-light mullioned-and-transomed window with old leaded glazing, now
partly penetrating into No.52 (q.v.). The gabled jettied bay facing north
between the 2 links retains mid-C17 oriel windows to first and second floors,
the lower being larger with decorated angle mullions and formerly with transoms,
the upper with moulded mullions. At ground floor, one bracketed post is still
exposed, and there are 2 panelled doors plus a window built out below the jetty;
the gable retains part of a scalloped bargeboard. Interior: stop-chamfered
beams, including dragon beams, in the earlier section; internal bracketed posts;
2-panel doors; dog-leg stair of c.l700 with winders, moulded closed string and
handrail, and a few barleytwist-on-vase balusters. In the cellar, built into a
wall, is a medieval octagonal wooden post with broach stops top and bottom. The
building occupies a prominent island site.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.18; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.455).
Listing NGR: SP5855622377
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings