This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8961 / 51°53'45"N
Longitude: -1.1514 / 1°9'5"W
OS Eastings: 458487
OS Northings: 222287
OS Grid: SP584222
Mapcode National: GBR 8XJ.3QF
Mapcode Global: VHCX4.0L4T
Entry Name: Bicester Snooker Club
Listing Date: 20 March 1970
Last Amended: 20 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046478
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243488
Location: Bicester, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26
Civil Parish: Bicester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bicester with Caversfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BICESTER CHAPEL STREET
SP5822S (East side)
3/13 Bicester Snooker Club
20/03/70 (Formerly listed as
Congregational Church, and
0xfordshire County Council)
Congregational chapel, now club. 1728, altered and extended c.1840 and 1873;
converted late C20. Limestone rubble and chequer brick with some ashlar
dressings; Welsh-slate roofs. Central block with added lower wings flanking a
forecourt. 5-window brick front of main range, with blue headers, rises from a
rubble plinth and has tall round-arched windows with C19 architraves and wooden
tracery; left bay has been altered to form a rose window above an added
pedimented porch, with a round-arched doorway surrounded by rusticated stone
blocks. Hipped roof has boxed eaves which break in the centre below a small
triangular pediment; only the pediment retains the deep plaster cove. Low wings
have yellow headers, and the arched windows in their front gable walls have
wooden "Gothic" tracery; right wing has a gable parapet; left wing returns
beside main block with sash windows. Sides and rear of main block are in rubble
and there are further arched and rose windows. Interior: upper room retains
boarded ceiling of chapeI with a deep plaster cove.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.18; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.454).
Listing NGR: SP5848722287
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings