This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8964 / 51°53'47"N
Longitude: -1.154 / 1°9'14"W
OS Eastings: 458312
OS Northings: 222325
OS Grid: SP583223
Mapcode National: GBR 8XJ.32K
Mapcode Global: VHCX3.YL9K
Entry Name: Number 8 Including Former Magistrates Courthouse
Listing Date: 22 July 1976
Last Amended: 20 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243493
Location: Bicester, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26
Civil Parish: Bicester
Built-Up Area: Bicester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bicester with Caversfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BICESTER CHURCH STREET
SP5822S (North side)
3/18 No.8 including former
22/07/76 Magistrates Courthouse
(Formerly listed as No.8
(Magistrate's Courthouse and
Former police station and courthouse. 1857 on datestone; courthouse probably
later. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings and brick; Welsh-slate
roofs with stone stacks. L-shaped group. 2-storey police station has a 4-window
front, the gabled right bay with a 4-pane segmental-headed sash above a
segmental-arched carriage entrance; other bays have similar but larger sashes to
each floor, and between bays one and 2 is a segmental-arched doorway with
overlight. Doorway and carriage entry retain studded doors. A simple stone
cornice conceals the eaves gutter, and the front gable contains a plaque
inscribed "COUNTY/POLICE/1857". Rear is stone with brick dressings.
Gable-fronted single-storey courthouse, to right, is linked by a short range
containing a large doorway and a window, both in chamfered stone surrounds.
Gabled section contains a pair of tall 18-pane sashes with similar surrounds and
relieving arches, and there is a round opening in the gable. Gable parapet has
gabled kneelers. Long brick-fronted wing to rear of courtroom retains two
20-pane sashes and some other original openings, but is much altered and was
raised to 2 storeys, probably in early C20. Interiors not inspected.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.19).
Listing NGR: SP5830922332
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings