History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Laurence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Caversfield, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9223 / 51°55'20"N

Longitude: -1.1571 / 1°9'25"W

OS Eastings: 458063

OS Northings: 225202

OS Grid: SP580252

Mapcode National: GBR 8X4.G92

Mapcode Global: VHCWX.WYN7

Entry Name: Church of St Laurence

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046533

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243417

Location: Caversfield, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Caversfield

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bicester with Caversfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bicester

Listing Text

SP52NE CAVERSFIELD A41
(East side)

2/32 Church of St. Laurence
07/12/66

- II*


Church. C10/C11, late C12 and C13, restored and partly rebuilt 1874 by Henry
Woodyer. Coursed and random limestone rubble with ashlar dressings;
Stonesfield-slate and concrete plain-tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and west
tower. C13 chancel has a pair of lancets in the east wall and, to south, a
further lancet plus a 2-light Decorated window and a square-headed C15 window;
vestry to north is C19 and includes a 3-light Decorated-style window below a
gable. Rebuilt aisles, in coursed rubble, have small lancets but, to north, a
short gabled projection contains a re-used C12 doorway of 2 orders with engaged
shafts, an inner roll, and an outer band of undercut chevrons. The pre-Conquest
base of the 3-stage tower has small windows to north and south with external
splays, other windows and all quoins have been renewed and the roof has rebuilt
gables facing east and west. Interior: chancel has deep splays to the lancets, a
small aumbry, a trefoiled piscina, and a restored archway to the north; chancel
arch has C19 responds; 2-bay, nave arcades have Transitional round piers with
corner spurs and knob-volute capitals (partly restored), above which are
elaborate C13 arches with multiple-roll moulding and dog-tooth ornament; C19
tower arch; all roofs C19 with arch-braced collar trusses and curved windbraces.
Monuments include several brasses and fragments, mostly removed from their
casements, the elaborately-panelled C15 tomb chest of John Langston (died 1487),
some C17 ledgers, and a group of C18 and C19 wall tablets below the tower. C12
font has arcaded sides. The early-C13 bell below the tower is the oldest
inscribed bell in England
(Buildings of England: 0xfordshire, pp.523/4.


Listing NGR: SP5806325202


This List Entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 6 June 2017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.