This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8561 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -1.166 / 1°9'57"W
OS Eastings: 457536
OS Northings: 217824
OS Grid: SP575178
Mapcode National: GBR 8XX.L15
Mapcode Global: VHCX9.QMY0
Entry Name: West End Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046549
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243348
Location: Merton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25
Civil Parish: Merton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Merton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
10/106 West End Farmhouse
Farmhouse. c.1700, extended late C18/early C19. Limestone ashlar and coursed
rubble with some wooden lintels; old plain-tile roof with rebuilt brick stacks.
3-unit plan with end outshut, extended to L plan. 2 storeys plus attic.
Symmetrical 5-window ashlar front, with rusticated quoins, plinth and storey
band, breaks forward in the middle 3 bays, below a tall parapetted gable
containing an oculus; the projecting kneelers return as a stone cornice over the
wide flanking bays. Central doorway, with panelled door, has a wide plain
architrave with double-stepped keyblock below a flat canopy on shaped brackets.
The window above is blind. All windows are of 2 lights and have ovolo-moulded
surrounds, retaining central mullions at first floor. End gables contain similar
attic windows. Rubble outshut to right is roughly contemporary. Rear has a large
stone lateral stack with many offsets, and has stop-chamfered lintels. Rear
wing, returning on right has been shortened. Interior: winder stair at first
floor; some plank doors and a wooden latch; butt-purlin roof with heavy rafters.
Most roof timbers and some window mouldings show signs of being re-used
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.222; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.701).
Listing NGR: SP5753617824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings