History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II Listed Building in Wendlebury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8731 / 51°52'23"N

Longitude: -1.1901 / 1°11'24"W

OS Eastings: 455852

OS Northings: 219702

OS Grid: SP558197

Mapcode National: GBR 8XN.KX6

Mapcode Global: VHCX9.B55X

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243379

Location: Wendlebury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Wendlebury

Built-Up Area: Wendlebury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wendlebury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Wendlebury

Listing Text

WENDLEBURY CHURCH LANE
SP5lNE (North side)
3/138 Church of St. Giles
07/12/66
- II
Church. C13, largely rebuilt 1762; altered and restored 1902 by J.O. Scott.
Coursed squared limestone rubble and random rubble with ashlar dressings;
plain-tile roof. Nave, chancel, north transept and south-west porch. C18 chancel
has shallow clasping buttresses rising from a plinth; east and south windows
have Y-tracery. Nave has 2 similar windows to south and a larger window of 1902
in place of the former south transept. Most windows have medieval moulded jambs
with later heads and tracery. C20 porch shelters a C15 doorway with carved
spandrels. North wall has 3 arched blind windows. West wall has a blocked
archway formerly leading to a tower. North transept, in random rubble, has
pairs of angle buttresses and a 2-light late Cl3 east window with plate tracery;
it is mostly C13 but has 3 late medieval single-light windows in its gable wall.
Interior: roofs of 1902; C13 arched tomb recess in transept; C18 communion rail
with turned balusters; C17 ledgers and C18 wall tablets; medieval font.
(V.C.H,: 0xfordshire, Vol.VI, pp.344-5; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
p.832).


Listing NGR: SP5585219702

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.