History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gosford and Water Eaton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8049 / 51°48'17"N

Longitude: -1.2536 / 1°15'12"W

OS Eastings: 451560

OS Northings: 212067

OS Grid: SP515120

Mapcode National: GBR 8YC.V6L

Mapcode Global: VHCXG.7W4R

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046562

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243282

Location: Gosford and Water Eaton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX2

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Gosford and Water Eaton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kidlington with Hampton Poyle

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Islip

Listing Text

GOSFORD AND WATER EATON WATER EATON
SP51SW
6/45 Manorhouse
26/11/51
GV II*
Manor house. c.1586 for William Frere, enlarged and altered late C17; restored
1881-2 by T.G. Jackson, and c.1905 by G.F. Bodley as tenant. Coursed squared
limestone with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. L
plan with added rear wing. 2 storeys plus attic. 3-window front has a central
2-storey porch with a 4-centred archway flanked by Doric columns on pedestals,
below a plain entablature, above which rise Ionic pilasters flanking a 3-light
stone-mullioned window; left bay has a large 2-storey 8-light canted
mullioned-and-transomed bay window; bay window and porch are crowned by very
shallow gables with obelisk finials, above which stand stone dormer gables with
similar finials, moulded kneelers, and 4-light mullioned windows. Inner doorway
is also arched and has the original massive plank door. Right bay has 6-light
mullioned-and-transomed window over a mullioned cellar window, but a similar
first-floor window has been reduced to 2 lights and the dormer gable has a
2-light window. Hood moulds at ground and first floors form continuous string
courses, and all windows have leaded glazing. To right of the porch are small
subsidiary windows. Both end walls have gable parapets with finials, but the
left end was intended as an internal wall, the front of the demolished bay
indicated by part of the court wall (q.v.). The right gable wall has a
Tudor-arched cellar door, a 4-light mullioned-and-transomed first-floor window
and a dormer gable with a 4-light window. This wall returns to contemporary rear
wing with, at ground floor, two 3-light transomed windows with plain chamfered
mullions (all other windows have ovolo mullions), a 5-light first-floor window
and a further 4-light dormer in a similar stone gable. Rear gable wall has a
massive chimney projection with 4 diagonal shafts. Left side of wing has
first-floor windows and dormer gables of similar type. Rear of main range
retains a 3-light transomed first floor window and has a large chimney
projection with 3 diagonal shafts. The hipped-roofed stair wing, returning from
the left end of the main range, has a 2-light mullioned window with label. C17
service wing, to rear of chimney projection, is of one storey plus attic, with
wooden cross windows and a gable parapet with plain projecting kneelers; it
continues as a single-storey range with old leaded casements and external stone
steps leading to a loft. Small C18 single-storey extension to rear of main wing
has a canted bay window with sashes. Interior: hall has no screens passage but
is lined with C17 oak panelling; a fine wooden doorway, with ovolo and concave
mouldings and carved vase stops, leads right, and a Tudor-arched stone doorway
leads to the stair wing which contains a long dogleg stair with renewed
balustrade. Study has late C17 panelling painted green with gilding, and
incorporating an arched display alcove; wooden doorway has double-ovolo moulding
and carved vase stops. Rear wing has heavy timber-framed partitions with
chamfered doorways, and incorporates a re-set 4-centre arched stone doorway with
recessed spandrels inscribed "1586" and "W.F."; dogleg stair rising to attics
has C17 heavy turned balusters and knob finials to the newels. Ornamental
plasterwork in hall and dining room (Tudor roses, fleur-de-lys, arabesques etc.)
is probably C19. First floor has much C17 panelling, mostly altered or re-used,
and has Tudor-arched stone doorways to the porch chamber and leading from the
stair wing. Roof structure is C19. The house was owned by the second Baron
Lovelace during the Civil War; G.F. Bodley died there in 1907. The estate has
been owned by the Sawyer family since 1767. Forms a fine group with the chapel
(q.v.) and subsidiary buildings (q.v.).
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.825-6; H Avray Tipping, "Water Eaton
Manor, oxfordshire", Country Life, Nov. 9th 1907, pp.666-74; V.C.H.:
Oxfordshire, Vol.12 (to be published)).


Listing NGR: SP5155712067

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.