This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8078 / 51°48'27"N
Longitude: -1.141 / 1°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 459317
OS Northings: 212472
OS Grid: SP593124
Mapcode National: GBR 8YJ.LC5
Mapcode Global: VHCXJ.5TMK
Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas
Listing Date: 22 May 1973
Last Amended: 10 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046569
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243295
Location: Horton-cum-Studley, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX33
Civil Parish: Horton-cum-Studley
Built-Up Area: Horton-cum-Studley
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Horton-cum-Studley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HORTON CUM STUDLEY CHURCH LANE
SP5912 (North side)
14/58 Church of St. Barnabas
22/05/73 (Formerly listed as St.
Church. 1867 by William Butterfield. Polychrome brick with limestone-ashlar
dressings; plain-tile roof. Nave, north aisle, chancel and south porch.
Gothic-revival style. Short chancel has, to east, 3 trefoil-headed lancets under
a hood mould; to north, 3 grouped lancets and, to south, a small hipped-roofed
vestry with narrow windows with shouldered arches. Nave has, to south, 2
paired lancets under hood moulds, plus a single lancet near the porch. The outer
arch of the porch is pointed segmental and of 2 chamfered orders. The central
section of the nave west wall breaks forward to contain the 3-light window, with
early-Decorated tracery, and rises to a buttressed and gabled double bellcote
with 2 shouldered arches. The nave roof continues over the narrow north aisle
which has only a sexfoil window to east and a small lancet to west. All walls
are in yellow stock brick with banding in light-red and flared bricks, and have
diapering in the upper parts. The gables of the porch and bellcote and the
spandrels of the east window, are in patterned unbonded work. Interior: chancel
walls have polychrome interlacing diapering, and the north window has detached
Purbeck-marble shafts. The responds of the brick chancel arch are probably of
slate. The 7-canted roof is panelled over the sanctuary bay. The nave has wall
patterning similar to the exterior, and has a 4-bay wooden north arcade with
solid spandrels rising to an arcade plate: the roof has arch-braced collar
trusses. C19 fittings including font and reredos. Contemporary stained glass in
chancel and c.1893 in south windows of nave.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.75; Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, p.656).
Listing NGR: SP5931712472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings