This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7524 / 51°45'8"N
Longitude: -1.2613 / 1°15'40"W
OS Eastings: 451090
OS Northings: 206222
OS Grid: SP510062
Mapcode National: GBR 7XS.5Y0
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.362Z
Entry Name: St Peters College, Master Lodge
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Last Amended: 28 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245149
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Ebbe with Holy Trinity and St Peter le Bailey
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/04/2018
SP 5106 SW
ST PETER'S COLLEGE
(Formerly listed as Master Lodge, previously listed as Oxford Canal Office)
Now used by St Peter's College (1949). Built 1827-29, Richard Tawney being architect. The south west and north west sides consist of three-storeyed Headington ashlar with a rusticated ground floor, Doric pilasters and moulded cornice above which is the top storey. Welsh slate hipped roof. Five sash windows, on south west side, in plain stone reveals. On the north west is a tetrastyle Doric portico with a pediment. Above the latter is a relief, sculptured in Coade stone, of Britannia holding a shield of the arms of the University impaling the City; in the background are the church of St Mary the Virgin and the Radcliffe Camera; in the foreground, in front of the latter, is a barge on a canal (or at a wharf).
Listing NGR: SP5109006222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings