This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7521 / 51°45'7"N
Longitude: -1.252 / 1°15'7"W
OS Eastings: 451732
OS Northings: 206204
OS Grid: SP517062
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.29C
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.77Z4
Entry Name: Universiy College, South Range Including Chapel, Hall and Kitchen
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245181
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
District Council Ward: Holywell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
including Chapel, Hall & Kitchen
SP 5106 SE 9/356C 12.1.54.
Built 1659-1666. To east is the Chapel and to West the hall with a gabled
frontispiece in between them. The North elevation was remodelled in 1802
to the design of James Griffith, Master. Chapel consecrated 1666. East
end rebuilt and roof raised by Sir Gilbert Scott, in 1862. Includes notable
stained glass by Abraham van Linge, 164l, woodwork by Thomas Richardson and
Arthur Frogley, 1665, and screen by Robert Barker, 1694, reset 1924. Hall
finished in 1657. Interior remodelled in 1766 by Henry Keene and repaired
1892. Extended to West, in 1904 in Guiting ashlar and the plaster ceiling
removed. Contains armorial glass by Willement, 1833. The Kitchen, to the south
of the Hall, is included, 1688-90. Hall gable altered 1958-9.
Listing NGR: SP5173306214
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings