This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7533 / 51°45'11"N
Longitude: -1.2509 / 1°15'3"W
OS Eastings: 451805
OS Northings: 206329
OS Grid: SP518063
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.2KR
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.86K8
Entry Name: The Queens College, North Range (Including Hall and Chapel)
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245091
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
District Council Ward: Holywell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
THE QUEEN'S COLLEGE
(including Hall and Chapel)
SP 5106 SE 9/355A 12.1.54.
Consists of the Hall on West, the Chapel on East, with passage-way between
them leading to North Quadrangle. Built 1714-19 by William Townesend. Refaced
in Bath stone 1884; the bell turret and cupola rebuilt in Clipsham stone,
1911. Hall completed 1715. Decoration by Townesend. Chapel finished 1719.
Includes painting (circa 1716) by James Thornhill; medieval glass from old
chapel re-arranged by Joshua Price who added work of his own, 1715-17; other
glass by Abraham van Linge, 1635; screen and reredos by Townesend; C17 lectern.
Listing NGR: SP5180606328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings