This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0732 / 52°4'23"N
Longitude: -1.4298 / 1°25'47"W
OS Eastings: 439180
OS Northings: 241797
OS Grid: SP391417
Mapcode National: GBR 6R5.Z7N
Mapcode Global: VHBYR.55H1
Entry Name: Grange Farmhouse
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Last Amended: 20 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046802
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244733
Location: Wroxton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Wroxton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wroxton with Balscote
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WROXTON CHAPEL LANE
(Formerly listed as The
Farmhouse. C15/C16 with C17 and C18 additions and alterations. South east
elevation. Finely jointed, ironstone approaching ashlar and coursed, squared
ironstone. Steeply pitched slate roofs. Brick ridge and end stacks. Situated end
on to the road. Hall house, possibly originally of 2-unit plan with through
passage and service, extended by the addition of a parlour, or possibly 3-unit
plan from the outset with later alterations. 2 storeys. 4-window range. Entrance
off-centre to right has a 4-centred arched stone doorway with weathered
spandrels, hood mould and label stop. Renewed door. To right a 3-light window
with opening casement. To left the large hall window of 2-lights, stone
mullioned and transomed with a weathered, traceried square head. First floor has
two C18 sash windows with wood lintels and a 3-light wood framed window with
metal casement, wrought-iron casement fastener and wood lintel. Left part,
slightly lower has a 2-light window with wood lintel and lead cames and a
renewed window with a wood lintel. Attic has a metal casement with wrought-iron
spring and wood lintel. Rear (north-west elevation). Entrance to through passage
on left has a 4-centred arched doorway and renewed door. Entrance is flanked by
a renewed C20 wood casement on left and a C18 sash on right. First floor has 3
sash window. Lower part on right has a panelled/glazed door and above a 3-light
window with metal casement. Wood lintels. Bread oven bulge on gable to road.
Interior: original plan of hall, through passage, kitchen and parlour survives.
Walls average 2 feet 5 inches in thickness. Hall now ceiled over has joists
spanning from a spine beam to lateral wall beams. Inglenook fireplace in hall is
wide with chamfered bressumer, bread oven and inserted C20 brick fireplace. C16
stone fireplace, with chamfered jambs, in parlour. Stud partition.
Stop-chamfered beam. Winder staircase. C17 additions included the fireplace and
oven in the kitchen (formerly buttery and pantry) and possibly the hall
fireplace which backs on to the through passage. In the C18 the walls of the
hall and kitchen were raised to provide lofty rooms above, the C18 stair was
inserted (probably replacing a C17 staircase) and the building was extended
beyond the parlour to provide an extra service room at the lower end. C20
fireplace inserted within the C17 hall fireplace. Grange farmhouse was probably
built by Wroxton Abbey in connection with its possessions at Balscott. in 1535
Richard Burden, a salaried official of the priory and general receiver of all
its rents farmed Grange Farm.
(VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p175; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p428;
Wood-Jones, R.B., Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963,
p49-52 and plans, sections and elevations fig.10)
Listing NGR: SP3918041797
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings