This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9422 / 51°56'31"N
Longitude: -1.2123 / 1°12'44"W
OS Eastings: 454242
OS Northings: 227371
OS Grid: SP542273
Mapcode National: GBR 8WW.69W
Mapcode Global: VHCWW.XFYY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046881
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244528
Location: Ardley, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27
Civil Parish: Ardley
Built-Up Area: Fewcott
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ardley with Fewcott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ARDLEY SOMERTON ROAD
SP52NW (North side)
3/3 Church of St. Mary
Church. C14 (possibly partly earlier) and 1792, restored 1865. Limestone and
some marlstone rubble with limestone-ashlar dressings; limestone ashlar;
Stonesfield-slate roofs. Chancel, nave and west tower. C14 rubble chancel has
good flowing tracery in the 3-light east window and in the 2-light windows to
west of it; the 2 westernmost windows are square headed but may be of the same
date, that to south with a blocked lower section below a transom. C14 priest's
door. Plain ashlar nave of 1792 has 3 simple pointed windows each side, the
middle window to south blocked. The saddleback-roofed tower, which has c14
diagonal buttresses and marlstone banding to its lower stages, has a pointed
western doorway of c.1792 below a square-headed 2-light C14 window. The
limestone rubble of the upper stage looks earlier and there are simple 2-light
openings to the top stage facing north and south, which may be Romanesque.
Interior: Chancel has an unusual C13 double recess, one half of which is a
piscina; it has linked trefoiled heads with a central piercing, and the jambs
are ornamented with dogtooth. To north is an elaborately-cusped ogee-headed C14
tomb recess. The plain chancel arch has C13 detached shafts with moulded
capitals, but the northern base may be earlier, The tower arch is probably C14
but is partly concealed by a western gallery of 1834. Fittings include a C12 tub
font and two C17 chests, There is a wall monument of 1753 in the chancel, and
several plainer tablets.
(VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p13; Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, pp422-3)
Listing NGR: SP5424227371
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings