This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9273 / 51°55'38"N
Longitude: -1.1857 / 1°11'8"W
OS Eastings: 456092
OS Northings: 225730
OS Grid: SP560257
Mapcode National: GBR 8X3.12Y
Mapcode Global: VHCWX.DTJF
Entry Name: Old Rectory
Listing Date: 26 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244537
Location: Bucknell, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27
Civil Parish: Bucknell
Built-Up Area: Bucknell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bucknell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BUCKNELL BAINTON ROAD
SP52NE (South side)
4/13 Old Rectory
Rectory, now house. Early C17, altered and extended C18 and C19. Limestone
rubble with wooden lintels; Stonesfield-slate roof with brick gable stacks.
L-plan. 2 storeys plus attic. Front, facing garden, breaks forward in the larger
left section which has, at first floor, two 2-light leaded casements plus a
blocked central window, and at ground floor has a central doorway, with a leaded
overlight and pyramid chamfer stops to the lintel, plus a 2-light casement and a
C19 canted bay window. Right section has an old 3-light casement at first floor,
with very old leaded glazing, but the ground floor is obscured by a low link to
a 2-storey rubble service wing which retains an old plank door and is probably
C18. Left gable wall of train range is rendered and was probably once an internal
wall. Rear has an outshut, but the right section retains 3-light casements.
Right gable wall has a bread-oven projection and faces the road. Interior:
Smaller section has a wide open fireplace with stop-chamfered lintel and
restored jambs; larger section has a large ground floor roan (formerly
sub-divided) containing 2 ovolo-moulded cross beams with diamond and
fleur-de-lys stops. Replaced as the rectory in 1833 and probably partly
(VCH; Oxfordshire; Vol VI; pp72)
Listing NGR: SP5604525644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings