History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bucknell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9256 / 51°55'32"N

Longitude: -1.1853 / 1°11'6"W

OS Eastings: 456122

OS Northings: 225540

OS Grid: SP561255

Mapcode National: GBR 8X3.74M

Mapcode Global: VHCWX.DVRR

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046889

English Heritage Legacy ID: 244541

Location: Bucknell, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Bucknell

Built-Up Area: Bucknell (Cherwell)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bucknell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bicester

Listing Text

BUCKNELL BAINTON ROAD
SP52NE (South side)
4/17 Manor House
26/11/51
GV II

Manor house, now 2 linked dwellings. Early C17, possibly partly earlier, altered
and partly rebuilt probably c.17OO for Lenthall Trotman, extended c.1830 for the
Tyrwhitt-Drake family, altered late C19 and late C20. Partly-coursed limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate, Welsh-slate, plain-tile and
artificial stone-slate roofs with stone and brick stacks. H plan, enlarged to
courtyard plan with subsidiary wings, 2 storeys plus attic and 3 storeys.
Symmetrical 5-window coursed-rubble front of central range, probably rebuilt
c.1700 to replace the hall range, has late-C19 stone-mullioned windows with
transoms, all of 2 lights except the single-light window over the C19 stone
porch; the front door within retains a stone architrave. Roof has three C19 roof
dormers. Both crosswings project slightly below gables with scalloped
bargeboards which may be C17. Right wing has a plinth and has moulded strings to
both floors, which step back slightly, and returns to a long wing which has a
2-storey 5-sided bay window; all windows have C19 stone mullions and transoms
except for a C19 ovolo-moulded 2-light stone-mullioned window in the rear gable.
A lateral stack retains a C17 diagonal brick shaft. Lower left crosswing has
similar renewed windows in its front gable wall, and has massive rubble stacks
rising from the left side; it extends further to rear and has a steep hip at the
far end of the roof. A 3-storey squared-rubble range of c.1830 linking the 2
ranges, has a symmetrical 3-window garden front with 12-pane first-floor sashes,
shorter sashes above, and inserted mullioned windows at ground floor;
shallow-pitched Welsh-slate roof has projecting boxed eaves. Low stone-slated
service ranges farm a further courtyard to left of the house, and link to a
taller range of 1865 with large mullioned-and-transomed windows, which may have
contained a billiard room or schoolroom. A single-storey late-C20 range extends
forwards from the left side of the house. Interior: main (north) and west ranges
contain much C17 panelling and 3 fireplaces: the hall fireplace has a
triple-arched overnantel; the other fireplaces and some of the decorative
panelling may be re-used work from Jacobean beds. Attic of west range contains
two moulded C17 doorways. A fine early-C17 plaster ceiling in the west range has
elaborate strapwork and roundels depicting the heads of historical figures; the
room also has mid-C18 fielded panelling with an arched pilastered entrance, and
has a Rococo fireplace from another room. 4 more bedrooms have plainer pine
panelling and C18 fireplaces, some panelling re-used from elsewhere. An
early-C18 egg-and-dart fireplaces with an elaborate frieze and cornice, now in
the east range is also re-located. Early-C18 closed-string stair, rising to
attics, has ramped moulded handrails and turned balusters. Early-C19 south
range, now part of a separate dwelling, has a fine drawing-room fireplace with
fluted Ionic columns. Butt-purlin routs to east, north and west ranges are all
probably of c.1700.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, pp71-2; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p50l)


Listing NGR: SP5612225540

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.