This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9597 / 51°57'35"N
Longitude: -1.2381 / 1°14'16"W
OS Eastings: 452452
OS Northings: 229301
OS Grid: SP524293
Mapcode National: GBR 8WM.5SP
Mapcode Global: VHCWW.H0BH
Entry Name: Church of St Olave
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244548
Location: Fritwell, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27
Civil Parish: Fritwell
Built-Up Area: Fritwell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Fritwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
3/24 Church of St. Olave
Church. C12, C13 and C14, restored and partly rebuilt 1864 by G.E. Street.
Coursed squared limestone rubble with limestone-ashlar and some marlstone-ashlar
dressings; lead, Stonesfield-slate and plain-tile roofs. Chancel, nave, north
and south aisles, west tower and south porch. Restored C13 chancel has a C19
east window, but retains a small lancet to north and an ogee-headed C14 lancet
to south; the buttresses incorporate C15 carved panelling. The narrow lean-to
south aisle has a small lancet to east and a restored lancet to west, but has
square-headed C14 and C15 windows to south of 2 and 3 lights; the fine C12
doorway, sheltered by a C19 porch, has chevron ornament surrounding a tympanum
carved with 2 beasts devouring a tree. The north aisle, which is also parapetted
in marlstone, has similar windows to north but the east and west windows are
traceried; the C12 doorway is plainer but has a cable mould around the arch. The
rebuilt pyramid-roofed tower incorporates tall 2-light C13 bell-chamber openings
with plate tracery. Interior: chancel has a re-sited column piscina or stoup of
C.1200, and the north wall contains the Romanesque former chancel arch of 2
orders, the outer with chevron decoration. Chancel arch is C19, but the 4-bay
nave arcades of 2 chamfered orders are probably C13 on the south, with round
columns and some nailhead ornament, and C14 on the north, with octagonal
columns. The roofs, including a crown-post roof in the nave, and all the
fittings are C19, except for a panelled C14 font which tapers towards the base,
and the western gallery, made up from Jacobean woodwork in 1901.
(VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p144; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp608-9)
Listing NGR: SP5245229301
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings