This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.058 / 52°3'28"N
Longitude: -1.3397 / 1°20'22"W
OS Eastings: 445367
OS Northings: 240157
OS Grid: SP453401
Mapcode National: GBR 7ST.XTG
Mapcode Global: VHCW7.QJLQ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist (Roman Catholic)
Listing Date: 8 July 1975
Last Amended: 14 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046906
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244483
Location: Banbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX16
Civil Parish: Banbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Banbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BANBURY SOUTH BAR STREET
SP4540SW (East side)
9/183 Church of St. John the
08/07/75 Evangelist (R.C.)
(Formerly listed as Church of
St. John the Evangelist (Roman
Catholic and adjoining
Presbytery to south)
Church. 1838 by Hickman and Derick of Oxford. Chancel and painted decoration
attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (Prof. Pheobe Stanton). Gothic-revival style.
Limestone ashlar, ironstone plinth, lead roof. Chancel, nave, west tower.
Embattled chancel has east window of 3 lights with traceried pointed arched head
which is flanked by 2 similar 2-light windows. Hipped roof. Nave: 5 bays divided
by buttresses. Five 2-light pointed arched windows with traceried heads and hood
moulds. West tower: 4 stages. West doorway has wooden door, moulded and
chamfered jambs and spandrels with quatrefoil decoration. Niche above door has
traceried canopy and figure with eagle on pedestal. Clock at third stage. Bell
stage above has 2-light louvred windows with hood moulds. West end of nave has
flanking niches with traceried heads and figures standing on pilasters.
Interior: chancel has painted vaulted roof supported on 4 slender columns.
Painted aumbry. Vaulted nave roof. Slender columns with foliated capitals.
Balcony. Stone relief below the altar of the Crucifixion c.1400 from the old
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.437; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X,
Listing NGR: SP4536740157
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings