History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Presbytery, Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Banbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0578 / 52°3'28"N

Longitude: -1.3395 / 1°20'22"W

OS Eastings: 445383

OS Northings: 240144

OS Grid: SP453401

Mapcode National: GBR 7ST.XVS

Mapcode Global: VHCW7.QJQT

Entry Name: Presbytery, Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 8 July 1975

Last Amended: 14 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046907

English Heritage Legacy ID: 244484

Location: Banbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX16

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Banbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Banbury St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Banbury

Listing Text

BANBURY SOUTH BAR STREET
SP4540SW (East side)
9/184 Presbytery, Church of St. John
08/07/75 the Evangelist
(Formerly listed as Church of
St. John the Evangelist (Roman
Catholic and presbytery
attached to south)
GV II

Presbytery. 1839-42. Attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Brick, fronted with limestone ashlar. Steeply pitched slate roof. Brick and stone ridge stack. 3-unit plan. 2 storeys plus attic; 3-window range. 2 storey extension to left joins presbytery with Church (q.v.). Gabled 2-storey entrance bay to left has pointed arched entrance to porch. First floor has a 2-light square-headed window. Right part: two 3-light windows to first floor have square heads. 2 similar windows to first floor. Gabled bay to right with finial. Stone copings. Crypt turned into men's club 1926.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.437: V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X,
p.107).


Listing NGR: SP4538340144

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.