This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0601 / 52°3'36"N
Longitude: -1.3386 / 1°20'19"W
OS Eastings: 445440
OS Northings: 240393
OS Grid: SP454403
Mapcode National: GBR 7ST.Y2S
Mapcode Global: VHCW7.RH53
Entry Name: Calthorpe House danvers House dashwood House
Listing Date: 9 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244330
Location: Banbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX16
Civil Parish: Banbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Banbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BANBURY DASHWODD TERRACE
9/39 No.7 (Danvers House), No.8
09/04/52 (Dashwood House) and No.9
Three houses, once substantial house, now divided into flats. No.9 is C16 or
earlier with later additions and alterations; Nos.7 and 8 have datestones
JL/1900 and JL/1876, respectively. Nos.7 and 8 of ashlar ironstone with brick to
sides and rear; No.9 partly of regular coursed ironstone rubble and partly
ironstone ashlar. Slate roofs. Brick ridge, lateral and end stacks. 2 storeys
plus attics throughout. 5 gable-front bays altogether. No.7: 4-window range. 2
bays. Stone porch to left has pointed arched doorway and plank door with rails.
Casement window to left, 2 sashes with glazing bars to right. First floor has 3
sashes with glazing bars and a tall fixed light. 3 half-dormer windows including
2 sashes. No.8: 2-window range. Single bay. C19 ironstone ashlar porch to right
has 4-centred arched doorway, part-glazed door and 2-light stone-mullioned
window. Embattled parapet with one surviving finial. Window to left has
intersecting glazing bars. 2 first floor windows including a pointed arched
window with diamond leaded lights and fragmentary remains of hood mould and head
stops. 2-light half-dormer window. No.9: 2 bays. Shallow, embattled 2-storey
porch has door surround bearing the arms of the Hawten family who acquired the
house between 1604 and 1614. Doorway has a 4-centred arched head and part-glazed
plank door. Hood mould with label stops. Doorway is flanked by tall sashes with
glazing bars, hood moulds and label stops. Plain door to left; upper floor of
the porch has a 6-light stone-mullioned and transomed window. Similar 3-light
window to the left and a sash with glazing bars to the right. First floor
windows have a continuous hood mould with label stops. 2 half-dormers: a 3-light
stone-mullioned window with hood mould and label stops and a sash window with
glazing bars and hood mould and label stops. Right end remodelled late C18/early
C19 has embattled porch, with Gothick glazing. 2 first-floor sashes have glazing
bars and hood moulds with label stops. Interior Calthorpe House: ground floor
room has a plaster rib vault on angel corbels. One corbel bears the arms of the
Cobb family, who owned the Calthorpe estate between 1801-1875. Reputed to have
an arched braced collar-beam truss roof in the south range of Calthorpe House.
Joseph Lumber, clothier, owned the properties in the C19. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire,
Vol.X, pp.36,44 and 45; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.442).
Listing NGR: SP4544040393
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings