This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5376 / 51°32'15"N
Longitude: -0.9023 / 0°54'8"W
OS Eastings: 476228
OS Northings: 182644
OS Grid: SU762826
Mapcode National: GBR C4S.DQV
Mapcode Global: VHDWG.9MV5
Entry Name: The Elizabethan House
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Last Amended: 28 October 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046995
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246172
Location: Henley-on-Thames, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Henley-on-Thames
Built-Up Area: Henley-on-Thames
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Henley-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. HART STREET
5355 (South Side)
Nos 40 & 40A
(The Elizabethan House)
and No 42 (Formerly listed
as No 40 Elizabethan
SU 7582 1/36 25.1.51.
C16 and later, timber framed with plaster and painted brick infill. Double
span, hipped, old tiled roof. 3 storeys, 5 windows, sashes with late
C19 glazing. Ground floor has 2 early C19 shop windows under cornices.
Eastern one incorporates door and has dentil cornice, entablature and
pilasters. Western window simpler, with pilasters. Central door with
architrave and small flathood. Side red brick and flint wall to east
provides an important link with the Old School House at rear (q.v.)
Nos 2 to 8 (even) Nos 14 to 36 (even) including Adam House, and Nos 40
44, and gates and piers 48, 50, The Old School House and the Rectory Garden
Wall form a group with Nos 5 to 39 (odd), the Drinking Fountain, the Parish
Church of St Mary and the raised pavement at the east end of Hart Street.
Listing NGR: SU7623182640
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings