This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5365 / 51°32'11"N
Longitude: -0.9011 / 0°54'4"W
OS Eastings: 476311
OS Northings: 182524
OS Grid: SU763825
Mapcode National: GBR C4S.M06
Mapcode Global: VHDWG.BNG0
Entry Name: Baltic Cottage
Listing Date: 28 October 1974
Last Amended: 11 January 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047015
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246122
Location: Henley-on-Thames, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Henley-on-Thames
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Rotherfield Greys Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
696/1/265 FRIDAY STREET
Hall house, dendro-dated to 1438, with cross-wing of 1537/8 and C19 and later extensions to rear.
MATERIALS: Timber frame, rendered externally, with plain tile roof.
PLAN: Front wing is of two storeys with entrance hall and living room on ground floor and two bedrooms above. Left-hand bay originally formed half of a mid-C15 hall house with later inserted ceiling and central stack, of which the remaining portion is now part of Baltic House (q.v.) Right-hand bay originally a mid-C16 cross-wing. Dining room, kitchen and third bedroom in C19 extension to rear.
EXTERIOR: Most external features, including multi-pane sash windows and timber dentil cornice, date from C18 remodelling.
INTERIORS: Much exposed timber framing. Wall posts and plates of hall house visible in sitting room, although main transverse beam here is a plaster fake masking a modern reinforcing member. In bedroom above are exposed front wall plate and tie beam of end truss with arch brace and later studwork. Main hall roof structure visible in attic, including crown plate, collars, rafters and one crown post with curved brace. In cross-wing above modern stair are tie beam and rafter forming original rear gable; wall plate and rafter ends in bedroom above. Roof structure of cross-wing much altered, but rafters and half-hipped rear gable structure visible in attic.
HISTORY: The eastern half of what is now Baltic Cottage originally formed part of an open-hall house dating from 1438. A hundred years later, in 1537-8, a cross-wing was added to the western end of this building, and perhaps at the same time a first floor and a central stack were inserted to create a two-storey lobby-entry house. A large new entrance wing containing a suite of reception rooms was added to the east in around 1800; the older building was externally remodelled, and the angle between the two began gradually to be infilled. Between 1944 and 1966 the house was used as the ticket office for the Henley regatta. In 1976 the house was divided into two properties, with the Georgian riverfront block and half of the medieval hall becoming Baltic House, and the other half of the hall plus the cross-wing and part of the rear extension becoming Baltic Cottage.
SOURCES: Ruth Gibson, report for the Henley Archaeological and Historical Group (2010).
D W H Miles and M C Bridge, report for Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory (2008).
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
Baltic Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Architectural: incorporates part of a mid-C15 hall house with a mid-C16 cross-wing, both retaining much of their original timber framing.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings