This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7512 / 51°45'4"N
Longitude: -1.2626 / 1°15'45"W
OS Eastings: 451002
OS Northings: 206087
OS Grid: SP510060
Mapcode National: GBR 7XS.5LH
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.27CW
Entry Name: C Wing Including the Round Tower
Listing Date: 28 June 1972
Last Amended: 18 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245997
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Barnabas with St Thomas the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HM PRISON OXFORD NEW ROAD
SP 5006 SE
7/10008 C Wing including the Round Tower
Prison block and tower. 1785 onwards by William Blackburn. 2nd floor
late C19/early C20. Batter to ground floor of tower may be the much
repaired and renewed base of a new "round tower" known to have been
built 1235 "in the corner of the castle". Coursed rubble with stone
dressings and ashlar 2nd floor. Pitched slated roof. 3 storeys 8
windows. Ground floor with small flat arched windows and entrance.
Round-arched 1st floor openings linked by impost bands, mostly blind
with grilled lunettes. 2nd floor bays buttressed. At southern end
ground floor, early, low barrel-vaulted cells with stone flag floors.
One retains heavily studded door with bar and lock; also, 3 heavy
transverse timbers set into the walls about 9" from the ground and 2"6
apart, one with metal rings for manaclling prisoners. Known as the
"Wesley Cells". 1st floor cells of low height with stone flagged
Listing NGR: SP5096506199
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings