This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7518 / 51°45'6"N
Longitude: -1.2626 / 1°15'45"W
OS Eastings: 451002
OS Northings: 206161
OS Grid: SP510061
Mapcode National: GBR 7XS.5MB
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.27DD
Entry Name: The Governors House
Listing Date: 18 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047047
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246001
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Barnabas with St Thomas the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HM PRISON OXFORD NEW ROAD
SP 5006 SE
7/10012 The Governor's House
Governor's House, now a staff mess. 1848 by Benjamin Ferry.
Asymmetrical Gothick villa. 3 and 2 storeys and basement. Entrance
front 3 storeys 1 bay with recessed entrance bay to right and further
recessed right hand 2 storey bay. Entrance approached by steps to
timber, slated roof porch with carved shield above. Tudor-arched
panelled door with 3 multifoil panels bearing shields. To left, a
small 3-light oriel window with carved female head corbel. 3 and 2
pointed-light windows with hoodmoulds. Cruciform arrow slit at 2nd
floor above entrance. Crenellated parapet, that to left of entrance
with machicolations. Interior open well, open-string stair with
column newels, stick balusters and pendants.
Listing NGR: SP5152606221
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings