History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Comper Foundation Stage School

A Grade II Listed Building in Iffley Fields, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.743 / 51°44'34"N

Longitude: -1.2323 / 1°13'56"W

OS Eastings: 453102

OS Northings: 205198

OS Grid: SP531051

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z5.M87

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.LGD5

Entry Name: Comper Foundation Stage School

Listing Date: 13 May 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047076

English Heritage Legacy ID: 245968

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Electoral Ward/Division: Iffley Fields

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cowley St Mary and St John

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/09/2012


SP5305 20/840
1485


HERTFORD STREET
Comper Foundation Stage School


(Formerly listed as St. Mary and St. John First School)


II


Formerly St. Mary and St. John Infants School, c. 1902. W Bucknall and
J N Comper. Free Gothic. H-p1an school with central hall and classrooms
to north, east and south. Red brick with dormers of roughcast and imitated
half timbering. Tiled roofs. Windows throughout have Tudor arches and
single chamfer, heavy wooden casements with all glazing bars. Facade to
Hertford Street : Gabled wings with round coping and three stepped windows.
The centre is of six bays with crenellated parapet and buttresses with two
setbacks. Two large triangular dormers centred over second and fifth bays.
On central buttress a small cusped stone niche with figure of St. Mary and
foundation stone with worn applied lettering. Asymmetrical end facades,
each with Tudor lancets under central gable and plank door with ornamental
hinges to right hand side. Rear facade of five gables, the three in centre
over triple windows. Two dormers as at front.

Interior. Central hall with wide pointed wooden tunnel vault, brought
to seven corbels on each side by small cross vaults above large glazed partitions
which light the classrooms on east, and windows on west. Vault defined by
delicate roll-moulded ribs on arrises and perpendicular to the ridge, painted
brown, dark blue and gold (said to reproduce the original scheme). Classrooms
under tunnel vaults running out from walls of hall.


Listing NGR: SP5310205198

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.