This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7621 / 51°45'43"N
Longitude: -1.2618 / 1°15'42"W
OS Eastings: 451046
OS Northings: 207306
OS Grid: SP510073
Mapcode National: GBR 7XL.KSN
Mapcode Global: VHCXN.2ZT1
Entry Name: St Annes College, Hartland House
Listing Date: 29 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047079
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245977
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
District Council Ward: North
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
In the entry for Hartland House,
St Anne's College
In line 3 of the description delete 'Mrs A G Hartman' and insert 'Mrs A G Hartland'.
The list was previously amended in respect of this entry on 29 August 1986.
St Anne's College
SP 5107 SW 3/871
College building: library, offices, lecture and common rooms. 1937 by
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott when first part built for the Society of Oxford Home Students
with funds donated by Mrs A G Hartman. Continued in 1951 to original design:
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and Son for St Anne's Society. Completed 1972 in curtailed
version of Scott's design by the Gerald Banks Partnership for St Anne's College.
Bladon stone in random coursed rubble with Clipsham stone dressings. Stonesfield
slate pitched roofs, in graduated courses, hipped at west and east ends with decora-
tive zig-zag pattern eaves cornice, but otherwise parapets with decorative crenella-
tions. Offset plinth with dressed chamfered capping. Concrete lintols, coloured to
match stone, each carrying a stone soldier course. Boldly curved jambs to all
openings. Metal frame casements with bars. The principal, south, front has a
central 2 storey, 7 bay range (1951) flanked by identical, projecting, 3 storey
blocks (W block 1937, E block 1951). On W side of W block a 2 storey, 3 bay range
(1937) returned to north as a wing, with symmetrical W facade. On the E side of the
E block a 2 storey, 2 bay range (1972). On the north front each of the two 3 storey
blocks has a projecting apsidal ended stair turret flanked to east and west of each
by a single storey service block: the west block terminated by the north wing return.
A long corridor entered from the central doorway in the W facade gives access to
stairs and links with a central cross hall entered through matching doorways in the
north and south fronts. Each doorway is flanked by semi-circular attached shafts
supporting bas-relief urns. Above the plain lintol the college arms in relief
flanked by scrolls, each scroll capped by a carved flambeau. Glazed wood doors with
bars. On the south front, to either side of doorway, three 3-light casements with
upper metal transom and on the first floor seven 2-light casements with upper tran-
soms. Each 3-storey block has a similar 3-light casement flanked by single light
casements on ground floor. On the first floor a central 2-leaf French door leads
onto a cantilevered balcony with a decorative wrought iron balustrade. The flat
lintol over each pair of doors is surmounted by semi-circular arch which contains a
tympanum carved with date: 1937 on west block and 1951 on the east block, each on
a shield supported by beavers carved in relief. A narrow single light window to
either side of doors. 3 windows to second floor of each block with side pivot
top lights. Wing to west has three 3-light casements with transom on ground
floor, and three single light windows with transom and side pivot top lights on
first floor. Below the eaves cornice a carved inscription: GET KNOWLEDGE:
GET RICHES: BUT WITH ALL THY GETTING GET UNDERSTANDING. The eaves cornice
to the east wing is interrupted by a dormer window. The main entrance is central
in the west wall of the west wing and similar to the north and south doorways but
with attached shafts supporting carved beavers, the shield above carved with the
monogram of the donor and surmounted by a crest. A pair of wood doors with diamond
framed panelling. A single window to either side and 2 pairs of windows to first
floor, all with upper side-pivot opening lights. 4 long vertical windows on the
north front of the west wing to the library stack room and a tall window to each
of the stair turrets above ground floor entry doors.
Interior: hall, corridor and principal rooms have flush panelled dados in Japanese
oak with moulded dado rails. Library retains bookcases and furniture (not listed)
of 1937. Wrought iron balustrades and ebonized handrails to both stairs. Flush
panel doors, some with diamond 4 pane glazed lights and simple moulded architraves.
Wood block floors over concrete.
Important as a late example of Scott's attempt to create an architectural style
with decorative richness as an alternative to the international style of the
Listing NGR: SP5104607306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings