This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7344 / 51°44'3"N
Longitude: -1.2102 / 1°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 454639
OS Northings: 204264
OS Grid: SP546042
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZD.6VF
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.ZN2R
Entry Name: The Nuffield Press, East Wing and Attached Former School House
Listing Date: 29 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047081
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245980
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4
Electoral Ward/Division: Cowley Marsh
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cowley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HOLLOW WAY, COWLEY
26/733 The Nuffield Press, East
Wing and attached former
Formerly school and military college, then car factory, now mainly offices
for printing works. Former School House 1852; East Wing 1877-8 by Sir
T G Jackson; C20 alterationr,restored 1983. East Wing. Rendered with terracotta
enrichments and brick dressings. Plain-tile hipped roof with truncated ridge
stack to right above a Dutch gable. Renaissance-Revival style. 3-storey,
10-window range of mainly 2-light cross windows with glazing bars. Brick
surrounds and cut-brick aprons. The 3rd bay from right breaks forward slightly
under the gable and has a tall window at 2nd floor. Terracotta moulded strings.
To rear there are elaborate terracotta pilasters and entralatures dividing
the bays and floors, with recessed blank ovals on 2nd floor. Rubble stone
wall to left where intended cowl was left unfinished. Attached to left of
East Wing is the former School House. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings
and Welsh slate roof with stone end and lateral stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys
and attic. Front to Hollow Way is of 5-window range: mostly 2-light stone
mullioned and transomed windows to ground and 1st floors. Gable to right
has canted oriel to lst floor and 3-light attic window. Two 3-light roof
dormers. Front to Oxford Road is similar, of 4-window range with canted
bay ground floor window to gable to right and small attic oriel. Three 2-light
roof dormers. Ground floor and gable windows have hood moulds. Stone-coped
shouldered gable parapets with kneelers, and stone parapets. Interiors altered
but Lord Nuffield's office from 1912-63 in School House, has been retained.
The School House was built for Cowley College and the East Wing for the Oxford
Military College. In 1912 William Morris, later Lord Nuffield, converted
the East Wing for the Morris car factory and from 1913 'bullnose' Morris
Oxfords were produced in it. "Car parts were received and any machining
and drilling carried out on the ground floor; the first floor being used
for assembling the chassis frame and the fitting of engines and wheels.
Car bodies were fitted to the chassis on the second floor while the loft
was used for storage and painting wheels." (Stratton, M., From Trestles
to Track: The Conservation of Historic Car Factories in the UK. Research
paper for HBMCE by Institute of Industrial Archaeology, 1986, ptl, plO; pt2,
p18 and p38-9. Sheppard, J.M., Nuffield Press, A Jubilee History, 1985, p5,
12 - 23 and illustrations). The other buildings at the Nuffield Press are
not of special architectural interest.
Listing NGR: SP5463904264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings