This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7518 / 51°45'6"N
Longitude: -1.2684 / 1°16'6"W
OS Eastings: 450599
OS Northings: 206155
OS Grid: SP505061
Mapcode National: GBR 7XS.440
Mapcode Global: VHCXT.Y7TD
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas the Martyr
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047122
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245883
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Barnabas with St Thomas the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ST THOMAS' STREET
Church of St Thomas
SP 5006 SE 7/123 12.1.54.
Parish church (RCHM 39). Chancel Late C12 in origin. In C15-C16 nave was
mainly rebuilt and extended to West, with West tower (restored 1936) and
North Chapel added. South porch 1621. South wall of nave rebuilt, chancel
arch removed and walls raised, 1826 by Evans, "surveyed" by W Fisher. North
chapel removed and North aisle with its arcade built, and chancel arch rebuilt,
1846 by J P Harrison, architect, Vestry 1898, by C B Hutchinson, architect.
Fittings include glass by O'Connor (1866) and work by Butterfield and Street.
Important for connections with the early history of the Oxford Movement
through the Vicar from 1842-92 Canon Chamberlain.
Listing NGR: SP5059906155
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings