This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7502 / 51°45'0"N
Longitude: -1.2407 / 1°14'26"W
OS Eastings: 452513
OS Northings: 205999
OS Grid: SP525059
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.C3G
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.F8YM
Entry Name: Stones Almshouses (8 Tenements)
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047125
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245799
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4
District Council Ward: St Clement's
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ST CLEMENT'S STREET
SP 5206 SE 11/495 12.1.54.
SP 5205 19/495
RCHM 247. "This Hospital for the poor and sick was founded by the
Reverend Mr William Stone, Principal of New Inne Hall, In hopes of they Assistance
Ao Dni 1700". 8 tenements, 4 on each floor. A rectangular range with the
long axis East and West and facing North on to the road behind a stone wall
in which are moulded stone gate-piers with ball finials. The North elevation
consists of 2-storeyed ashlar with a stone band at the 1st floor and a stone
slate hipped roof, in which are 8 gabled attic dormers. There are 2 moulded
stone-faced stacks, one at each end. The projecting centre-piece, with the
stone framed front doorway and central passage-way, has a 2-light stone mullioned
and transomed window and is pedimented with tympanum is an oval inscription
panel and a cartouche of arms (3 roses and a chief). In the ground and
1st floors are 10 single-light transomed casement windows in stone frames.
The south elevation has 3 small and 2 larger dormers at each end. In the
central passage-way is a stop-chamfered beam. Mr Stone (died 1685) was "assisted"
by Dr Fry of Trinity College, who gave £l,0O0 and superintended the building
as his executor. Built by Bartholomew Peisley for £250, with George Smith,
carpenter, who was paid £180 for the woodwork (0xf Hist Soc MS II (1939),
XXIV). For elevation and photograph see Plates IV and V in Field and Bunney
English Domestic Architecture (1905) and for plan p 184 of RCHM Oxford City.
For drawing by J C Buckler in 1823, see Bodl. MS Don a 3 I 69.
Major restoration 1958.
Listing NGR: SP5251305999
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings