This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7565 / 51°45'23"N
Longitude: -1.2476 / 1°14'51"W
OS Eastings: 452030
OS Northings: 206696
OS Grid: SP520066
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.WYZ
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.B39R
Entry Name: Holywell Manor
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245808
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ST CROSS ROAD
SP 50 NW 24/119 12.1.54.
RCHM 252. Now a hostel of Balliol College. The original house was rebuilt
in 1516 by Merton College and parts of this remain but the whole has recently
been reconditioned with considerable additions, 1931. The ancient block
is L shaped in plan with wings to the North and East. On the South side
of the East wing is a gabled projection which functions as a porch and staircase
well. The West elevation on the road is 2-storeyed coursed rubble with
2 gables in each of which are modern 4-light stone mullioned windows. Stone
slate roof and stone stacks. In the 1st floor are 6-single-light stone-framed
windows with 4-centred heads, 3 of which are ancient and in addition there
are 2 2-light similar but modern windows. The ground floor has 2-light similar,
and a 3-light, windows, with square labels, some of which being original.
There is a renewed stone doorframe with a 4-centred head. The South elevation
of the East wing is 2-storeyed coursed rubble with 1st floor 2-and 3-light
stone mullioned windows with 4-centred heads and a stone slate roof. The
windows in the ground floor have renewed stone frames with modern sashes
and there is also here one original but partly renewed, 3-light stone mullioned
window with a square moulded label. The 3-storeyed gabled projection has
angle buttresses, a stone slate roof, an original single-light stone framed
window and some modern wood-framed windows. The North wall of the North
wing has been rebuilt. There are modern additions on the East and North of
the East wing. Interior: RCHM p 183 a. Includes some moulded ceiling beams
in the former hall in the South wing, some original fireplaces, some reset
C17 panelling, and some original roof timbers. History. For an account
of its uses and inhabitants see Proc Oxford Archit Hist Soc V 203-4. For
the history of The Holy Well on the site, see ib 207 and VI, 110-112. For
drawing of 1820 exterior by J C Buckler, see Bodl MS Don A 3 II 72.
Listing NGR: SP5203006696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings