This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7668 / 51°46'0"N
Longitude: -1.2568 / 1°15'24"W
OS Eastings: 451384
OS Northings: 207825
OS Grid: SP513078
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.138
Mapcode Global: VHCXN.5VFG
Entry Name: 1-47 and 49-64, Park Town
Listing Date: 29 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245731
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
District Council Ward: North
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5107 NW 1/32
(North Side), Nos 1 to 61 (odd)
(South Side) Nos 2 to 46 and 50 to 64 (even)
Consists of four groups of houses laid out in 1853 by Samuel Lipscombe Seckham,
(1) On the West of the Crescent Nos 4 to 14 alternate on the South and Nos
1 to 9 alternate on the North. These are detached, 3-storeyed houses of
the villa type with Welsh slate roofs and sash windows.
(2) The Crescent. Nos 11-31 alternate on the North and Nos 16-34 alternate
on the South. 3-storeyed stuccoed, in two curved rows of houses of the "terrace"
type with an ornamental shrubbery in the centre. The ground floors are rusticated
and there are basements and good iron railings. Above is a moulded cornice
and a small balustraded parapet. In each floor are two sash windows with
cills supported on consoles, those in the 2nd floor being of simpler design.
In the ground floor each has a 3-light sash window and a recessed doorway
up a flight of steps.
(3) On the East of the Crescent. Nos 33-45 alternate on the North and Nos
36-44 alternate on the south. These are similar to (1).
(4) The Terrace. At the East end of the group. Nos 47-61 alternate to
North of central archway and Nos 50-64 alternate to South of same. 3-storeyed
yellow brick with basements and a stuccoed, rusticated ground floor, the
whole terrace being raised some 4 ft above the roadway. Each house has two
1st-floor sash windows and on the ground floor is one sash window and a recessed
doorway up a flight of steps. The central stuccoed Archway is dated 1855.
All the listed buildings in Park Town form a group, with Nos 68 and 70 Banbury
Listing NGR: SP5138407825
Other nearby listed buildings