History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oxford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7276 / 51°43'39"N

Longitude: -1.2385 / 1°14'18"W

OS Eastings: 452688

OS Northings: 203478

OS Grid: SP526034

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZB.RP6

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.HV21

Entry Name: Rectory

Listing Date: 12 January 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047193

English Heritage Legacy ID: 245666

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Town: Oxford

District Council Ward: Rose Hill and Iffley

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Iffley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

MILL LANE
1.
1485
(West Side)
Rectory
SP 5203 SE 15/67 12.1.54.
II* GV
2.
RCHM 258 with a plan. Rectangular plan with the long axis North and South
and with an East wing and other additions. The South range of the main North-South
block is probably Cl3 and the North range added in Cl6. The East wing was
added probably in Cl7. Two and partly 3-storeyed rubble with a stone slate
roof and brick shafts. On the East elevation in the North range, are two
projecting stacks and 2 Cl6 stone mullioned windows; the North range has
a moulded string at the 1st floor, and 3-and 6-light C16 windows on the West;
the square-headed stone doorway has a label and moulded jambs. The North
elevation has on the North-East angle a staircase projection with a modern
corridor on its East side; the windows here are Cl6. Interior:- RCHM page
185b. Includes a Cl3 opening reset in the East wall of the South range,
which may possibly have come from the anchorite's cell known to have been
on the South side of the chancel of Iffley Church (Notes and Queries Volumn
187 (1944) pages 292-3). There is some Cl7 panelling, a plaster ceiling
and some exposed roof timbers in the South range. The whole restored and
altered 1959.

The Rectory forms a group with Court House, the Church and Church Cottage,
Church Way.


Listing NGR: SP5268703479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.