This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7518 / 51°45'6"N
Longitude: -1.2618 / 1°15'42"W
OS Eastings: 451053
OS Northings: 206158
OS Grid: SP510061
Mapcode National: GBR 7XS.5SV
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.27SD
Entry Name: County Hall with the Curving Screen Walls and Turrets on Either Side
Listing Date: 29 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245686
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Barnabas with St Thomas the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
County Hall with the
curving screen walls and
turrets on either side
SP 5106 SW 8/436 29.1.68.
1841. Delightful "Neo-Norman fortress" with Georgian type windows in "Gothic"
surrounds. Symmetrical composition. Designed by J Plownan. Stone. Single
storey, 5-bay frontage, the central bay projecting with a castellated porch
and turrets over. The bays on either side have large round-headed sash
windows. Parapet, roof not visible. The front decorated with mock arrow
slits. The screen walls are castellated and have arrow slits in the end
turrets. There are lamp standards in the form of 'fasces' on either side
of the door.
Listing NGR: SP5105306158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings