History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

86 and 87, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oxford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7525 / 51°45'9"N

Longitude: -1.2508 / 1°15'2"W

OS Eastings: 451812

OS Northings: 206244

OS Grid: SP518062

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.2L0

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.86LW

Entry Name: 86 and 87, High Street

Listing Date: 12 January 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 245520

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Town: Oxford

District Council Ward: Holywell

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
1485
(South Side)
Nos 86 &87
SP 5106 SE 9/418 12.1.54.
II* GV
2.
House and shop, 1 building. RCHM 63. Early C17 with a long wing at the
back on South East. 3-storeyed roughcast timber-framinwith cellars and an
early Cl9 (after 1814) stone Doric ground floor front with 7 engaged columns.
There is an overhang at the 2nd floor, a moulded eaves cornice and a parapet.
The lst floor has 3 sash windows in plain frames and the 2nd floor has similar
but smaller windows. At the back are also Cl9 extensions; the West side
of the early wing projects and has 3 gabled dormers. Interior. RCHM p 163
b. Includes on the ground floor good original ornamented plastered ceiling
beams and panelling and some early Cl8 panelling and a fireplace. The upper
floors have recently (1949) been altered and adapted as rooms for University
College; there are here some original plastered and ornamented ceiling beams,
panelling and stone fireplaces and an early cl8 staircase.History:- For
leases and tenants 1565-1884 see Oxf Hist Soc LVI (1914) 167-9 and Antiq
Jnl XXVII (1947), 139. Once the site of Boster Hall and Saracen's Head.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.


Listing NGR: SP5181206244

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.