This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7523 / 51°45'8"N
Longitude: -1.2544 / 1°15'15"W
OS Eastings: 451568
OS Northings: 206218
OS Grid: SP515062
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.1PC
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.67Q1
Entry Name: 106 and 107, High Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047253
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245528
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
District Council Ward: Holywell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Nos 106 & 107
SP 5106 SE 9/383 12.1.54.
House s and modern shops. 1 building. RCHM 69. Of great architectural
and historic interest for it contains probably the finest domestic vaulted
cellar in Oxford, a good Cl5 roof and a good, though mutilated C14 window.
Historically it is one of the very few examples of a medieval academic hall
still surviving; known as Tackley's Inn and built in 1320, it was the 1st
property that Adam de Brome acquired for the foundation of Oriel College
in about 1324. The modern rebuilt Cl9 fronts consists of:- 3-storeyed stuccoed
timber-framing. No 106 The 1st and 2nd floors have two sets of 3 sash windows
in plain frames with glazing bars. In a hipped Welsh slate roof is a gabled
dormer with a 2-light casement window. Extending southwards on the East
side at the back is an early C18 3-storeyed timber-framed wing. No 107 has
in the 1st floor 2 bay windows with casements. The 2nd floor has 2 sash
windows in moulded frames and there is a Welsh slate roof. Interior RCHM
page l64b. The C14 parts are the stone South wall of the hall of the inn
and the quadripartite vaulted stone cellar of 5 bays. In the upper part
of the wall are the remains of the C15 trussed and braced collar-beam roof
of 2 bays. In the South wall of the hall is an original window with two pointed
lights. History. For leases and tenants see Oxford History Society 85 (1926).
163-9. For description of plans and sections, see The Oriel Record, June
1941 Antiq .Jnl. 27 (1947). 127 and Figures 2, 3 and 4 Oxoniensia VII (1942),
All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5156806218
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings