This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7521 / 51°45'7"N
Longitude: -1.2562 / 1°15'22"W
OS Eastings: 451440
OS Northings: 206193
OS Grid: SP514061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.176
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.57R6
Entry Name: 126, High Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245537
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Michael and St Martin and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 SW 8/342 12.1.54.
House and shop. RCHM 74. C15 with a late C17 front. The only one of this
kind of excellent street architecture which remains in Oxford. 3-storeyed
plastered timber-framing over cellars and with a gabled dormer. The ground
floor has a modern shop front. The 1st floor consists of one large window
the centre of which breaks forward and is carried up through the 2nd floors;
it has a continuous entablature and wide lights with plain wooden mullions
almost flush with the glass; the wooden transoms have a projecting moulding;
in the centre is a semi-circular head with a moulded keystone; the glazing
appears to be mostly original. The same style is found in the 2nd floor
window, where, however, there are twin semi-circular headed lights in the
centre. Above the 2nd floor is a heavy moulded cornice with a broken moulded
pediment in which is a semi-circular headed window of the same style as in
the lower floors; this window has a moulded pediment and the whole is contained
in a large gable which has the remains of excellent C15 wavy carved and moulded
bargeboards with sunk traceried panels. The structure of the original C15
house can be seen inside, the C17 front being bracketed out. The rear wall
reconstructed in brick 1971.
Interior. RCHM page 165b. Includes cellars, probably medieval; timber arcading
behind the North front on the 1st floor which is the structural C15 front.
C16-17 panelled dado. For plans, sections and elevations see Antiq. Jnl.
27 (1947) pages 127-8 and Figure 5. All the listed buildings on the South
Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5144006193
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings