This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7274 / 51°43'38"N
Longitude: -1.2382 / 1°14'17"W
OS Eastings: 452714
OS Northings: 203457
OS Grid: SP527034
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZB.RRG
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.HV85
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047319
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245391
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4
District Council Ward: Rose Hill and Iffley
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Iffley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/15/78 CHURCH WAY
12-JAN-54 (West side)
CHURCH OF ST MARY
Parish church. (RCHM 44). Built 1175-1182 with nave, central tower and
chancel. In C13 chancel was extended two bays to East with buttressing
and some new windows in chancel towards the end of the century; chanel restored
1858. In late C15 new windows inserted in nave and tower. In C17 parapets
on South and on tower were built. The West gable was restored in 1823 and
in it the present round window was inserted in 1860. The church was restored
generally in 1844. The Romanesque detail is notable. Norman font. The
churchyard has many tombs and a very fine chestnut tree in road opposite
entrance gate, also one of the largest and oldest yew trees in England at
the rear of the Church.
Church Cottage, Church of St Mary, No 122 (Court House) with Rectory, Mill
Lane form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5271903458
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings