This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7525 / 51°45'8"N
Longitude: -1.2576 / 1°15'27"W
OS Eastings: 451344
OS Northings: 206238
OS Grid: SP513062
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.0VS
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.560W
Entry Name: The Golden Cross Hotel
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245399
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
District Council Ward: Carfax
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Michael and St Martin and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
(The Golden Cross
SP 5106 SW 8/304 12.1.54.
RCHM 103. The buildings lie back from the street and are approached through
(1) a gateway, C15 leading to a courtyard. The Hotel consists of (2) a North
range, C15, (3) a South range, mainly rebuilt in late Cl7, and (4) the East
(1) The outer C15 gateway has moulded wood jambs, a 4-centred arch in a
square head with leaves carved in the spandrels. The North spandrel has
a shield of arms of New College and the shield on the South has been mutilated
by the insertion of telephone cables.
(2) The North range is a 2-storeyed plastered timber-framed structure with
attics in a Welsh slate roof. There is a C18 red brick shaft rising at
eaves level. The upper floor projects and has in it five original moulded
wood oriels supported on moulded coved cornices; the front lights of each
seem to be late Cl7 insertions.
Interior:- Some moulded ceiling beams; the oriels have internal 4- centred
arched heads. In the 2 lst floor rooms on the West are some good late
C16 wall paintings which in part are overlaid by some of early C17 date.
Interior remodeled in 1968.
(3) The South range is 3-storeyed timber-framed with 4 gabled projecting
bays. In the 1st and 2nd floors are, in the 3 westernmost bays, some original
3-light windows with semi-circular keystoned centre lights. The ground floor
has been modernised in parts.
Interior. Some C17 panelling and late Cl7 staircase. Interior remodeled
in 1968. Drawing by J C Buckler, 1824, in Boldeian M S Don A 2 No 26) History.
See "The Golden Cross" (1948) pages 19; Notes and queries. 193 (August 7
1948), 332 and Antiq Jnl XXVII (1947) Plate XIX.
Nos 1 to 3 (consec), 5, 8 to 10 (consec) and Nos 1 to 3 (consec) High Street
form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5134406238
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings