This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.752 / 51°45'7"N
Longitude: -1.2582 / 1°15'29"W
OS Eastings: 451306
OS Northings: 206178
OS Grid: SP513061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.0QL
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.47Q9
Entry Name: Carfax Tower tower of the Church of St Martin Carfax
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047353
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245370
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Michael and St Martin and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Tower of the Church
of St Martin Carfax
SP 5106 SW 8/295 12.1.54.
Church rebuilt in 1820-22 by John Ploman, except for west tower, and demolished
1896, again leaving the tower which is, probably C14 in origin; (probably
with Saxon work also); it was restored in 1896 by Sir T G Jackson who added
the buttresses and turret. The tower has a fine clock with animated figures
striking the hours. (RCHM 33).
Forms the Western terminal of the High Street.
Listing NGR: SP5130606178
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings