History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Parsonage

A Grade II Listed Building in Oxford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7595 / 51°45'34"N

Longitude: -1.2604 / 1°15'37"W

OS Eastings: 451141

OS Northings: 207014

OS Grid: SP511070

Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.L4R

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.31JH

Entry Name: The Old Parsonage

Listing Date: 12 January 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047358

English Heritage Legacy ID: 245290

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Town: Oxford

Electoral Ward/Division: North

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Oxford St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

BANBURY ROAD
1.
1485
(West Side)
Nos 1 & 3
(The Old Parsonage)
SP 5107 SW 3/109 12.1.54.
II
2.
RCHM 188. Early C17 in origin; the whole has been restored and there are
modern additions. East elevation. 2-storeyed coursed rubble with 2 gables,
stone copings, ball finials and a stone slate roof. Moulded string at the
1st and 2nd floors. There is a central renewed moulded stone stack and one
at the North end, The ground floor has 3 stone doorways with 4-centred
heads, moulded jambs and spandrels, that on the South being renewed. In
a spandrel of the centre doorway is the date 1659. The 1st floor has 2
4-mullioned windows. In each gable is a 3-light casement window with a moulded
stone cornice. On the North West is a 2 storeyed modern red brick addition
and on the North West angle is another 2-storeyed roughcast addition. On
the South West of No 1 is a 2-storeyed roughcast extension. On the West
of the ancient range are 2 large restored gables having a 4-light stone mullioned
window in the North one and in the South one a 2-light similar window; the
gables have modern wood bargeboards. Interior:- RCHM 179 b.
Includes some original fireplaces and some early Cl8 panelling. History.
For condition of exterior in 1820, see J C Buckler's drawing in Bodleian
MS Don a 3 I 41 and 42.


Listing NGR: SP5114007018

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.